Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Those school vacations that were blissful and carefree

Not only should Meng Shiang be famous for its Charsiew Wantan Mee, it should be given a MEDAL for its Charsiew Bao as well.

The meat in the BAO, has hardly any fat. It's all solid Charsiew Meat.

Everytime we eat here, this is the only snack that will pacify me, until the Wantan Mee arrives. It's only 11.30am on a Sunday, after the 10am at Wesley , and already, the wait will be 30 -40 mins.

DSC07953 DSC07951
DSC07956
Well... we don't want to over-do it, now do we... because, my stomach should be saving enough room for the Wantan Mee.

But at RM1.00 per Bao, and RM2.30 average, per plate for the other goodies.. the Dimsum is causing conflict in mah soul... oh yes it is ... :P

DSC07957
The sweet lady... so small and unassuming...

DSC07958

But trust me.. there's nothing delicate or unassuming about the way she HACKS up the chunks of Charsiew meat.. not for the faint hearted.. to be sure. Her knife is a blur.

WHIZ, chop, whack, hack, slit... ! DSC07963
This is what gives the Charsiew bits, their signature, 'American Psycho' style barbaric finish.

A generous, slashing of flesh is what you get. Along with your noodles.

DSC07971
But don't be fooled.

This irregular, grotesquely shaped hunk of Charsiew, though sloppy, really is one of the best in town. Smoky meaty flavour, with a rich caramelized, crispy, melt in your mouth outer skin, just hits the spot perfectly.

I want to go back for sloppy seconds!

Having said that, the Wantan Noodles, still lacked that special "chinese wine" sauce flavour, that some other noodles have, making it not as memorable as the Charsiew itself.

But who cares.. still bloody awesome la.

RM3.80 per plate (small). RM5.50 per 'Kar Liao' (large).

DSC07972
We are clearly fans of the TRANS FAT , for reasons that I cannot fathom. Here is the Siew Yok. At RM6.00 pretty so-so. On the salty side with not enough soft fat, though we asked for "pun fei sau". They burnt the skin :(

.

.

.

Hmmmm... anyway, having just sampled a thoroughly hearty and enjoyable meal, i have to say that, my heart is torn. A wave of nostalgia washes over me and I am compelled to write down these words...



Nothing but nothing compares to the Charsiew, which back in time, satisfied my hunger and allowed me to relive holidays at my grandparents'. My grandma use to MAKE her own Charsiew right out of that smoky, delightful kitchen of hers in Ipoh.... Those school vacations which were so blissful and carefree, I can only now fully appreciate them. I wish i were a kid again.


Wantan Noodles : 6/10
Charsiew:7/10
Siew Yok:4/10
MSG levels : moderate
Price: value for money


Address:
Meng Shiang (near that Hau Kee Empire! As in opposite side of road - go early as very packed and people double/triple park)
Jln Kaskas 2,
Taman Cheras, KL


15 comments:

J2Kfm said...

yeah char siew! ;)
seldom heard of ppl who dun dig them huh?
except probably diet freaks ...

Big Boys Oven said...

I am melting now by just looking at those awesome delicious char siew! Next time ta pau for me when you are on your way to work! lol! :)

backStreetGluttons said...

goodness, we suddenly realised

now you can eat
( badder than team bsg )

Ciki said...

j2kfm:
diets are for freaks... haha. Exercise is better!

BBO:
don't melt! we still need u to bake them lovely cakes

bsg:
she runs, she flies, she eats. haha

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

i want the char siew in ipoh ahha no address ar?

choi yen said...

make me have appetite when looking at the caramelized meat even though I'm having flu now...

Precious Pea said...

Suddenly I crave for a nice fluffy char siu bao with char siu at the side. Sigh...

Julian Si said...

Great photos on this post, especially that of the chopping board ... And I also really liked the pix and write-up on your Supper place on Jalan Pudu post, slurp Yong Tau Foo!!

Happy Eating!

Anonymous said...

*tummy growls*

I want my char siu bao too! But like yours wan, less fat MORE CHARSIEW! ;)

HairyBerry said...

awwww, so nostalgic.

i agree. they dont cook like they used to anymore. a good plate of hokkien mee will only linger in my mind, together with my childhood toys...sigh...

worldwindows said...

My favorite char siew with the trans fat. Soft and melts in the mouth. Good food bad for body. I have a problem actually not with the food but the jam pann (cutting/chopping board).

Ciki said...

joe:
that's like my grandma's house la, joker..

mimi:
feed the cold and starve the fever! get well soon

precious pea:
it's lunchtime here.. tell me about it :P

julian si:
welcome back and happy eating 2u2!

kenny mah:
the best things in life are free ( i mean fat free.. erm.. sometimes..)

nic:
I am curious what toys u used to play with.. lol

worldwindows:
i know what u mean.. but what u don't see/know, won't hurt u... unfortunately the CHAM PAN is in everybody's plain sight la.. lol

jasmine said...

ooh, looks good! must go when i'm in cheras. and i love how your grandma's kitchen looks :D

boo_licious said...

Gosh, now I am hankering for Meng Shiang's yummy char siu, after seeing these pixs.

Ciki said...

jasmine:
thx!

boo_licious:
lol.. need your fix eh ;P