Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Canton-I because... hungry-I

Trust in me... Just in me... Shut your eyes... And trust in me...
—Kaa, The Jungle Book



Recently Updated20

Well, NO.. these are not Kaa's eyes, but they sure have the same hypnotic effect I tell ya.
When the thick, hot oozy, salted egg yolk spilled out of the purple dumplings, I was hypnotized all right.

This is the best savoury dumpling dessert I have had in a long time! Canton-I's dumplings to die for. Go try.

DSC07148
The open kitchen concept, not unlike Dragon-I, the sister restaurant.

DSC07151
Sweet, sweet sauces waiting to drench little, succulent pork bodies.

DSC07166-1
Here is the mix platter of Charsiew, Siew Yoke. Approximately RM22 per portion, the Charsiew was sickly sweet whilst the Siew Yoke lacked the melt in your mouth/crispy crunch that the ones in Canton Fare, Solaris possessed.

Not bad but not great.


DSC07172-1
At first glance they look like brown pillows of air, afloat a white sea of CHOK (chinese porridge/congee).

I cannot describe the esoteric appeal that fried intestine holds for me. I cannot. Words fail me.

DSC07181
Add an extra portion if these brown, crunchy, lardy, airy intestine to your meal and know that the world is instantly, a better place.


DSC07184

Who ordered this? The Pork Trotter noodles came and we did not have the heart to send it away!

The trotter was thick, fleshy, fatty and it complemented the springy noodles.




DSC07187

Finally , I thought to myself why spoil such a wonderful lipid-meat infused meal with a boring, 'safe' dish as Sui Kau. Well, surprisingly good, I was pretty bowled over by this healthy bowl of soup. The Sui Kau was crunchy to the bite and the prawn and stuffings were as 'fresh' as a sailor who'd just come back from sea, to his bonny lass:P

What a great meal. Apart form the mix platter, we highly recommend this place, Canton-I, the Gardens!



Canton-I
G-208, Second Floor
1 Utama Shopping Centre
Bandar Utama
Petaling Jaya

Tel No: 03- 77297888

28 comments:

FBB said...

u r an evil woman....!!! making me drool and lust so early in the morning.... GET THEE AWAY FROM ME, GORJUS!

HairyBerry said...

the rounds look darn sexy. i cant wait to put my hands on them and feel the warmth. yes, we are tokking about the paus. not easy to get flowing custard liddat. must go try.

Timothy Low said...

First look at the char siu and I swallow my saliva ..... 10am .... gosh.

fatboybakes said...

btw, the KAA buns are sooo farnee...so crever la you.

Ciki said...

FBB:
Tq tq! LOL.. i was pretty hypnotized by em too.. :P

nic:
sexay! yummay!

tim:
yar, too bad not as shiok as it looks:P

Kenny Mah said...

Ah, I so wanted to go there on Sun nite but the Devil wanted Din Tai Fung instead and so.. another time for Canton-i... :)

Sean said...

i think my cholesterol inched up a few points just by reading this post. if only we could all eat as much siew yoke as we want, as often as we want, huh ... i'm waiting for someone to invent low-cholesterol siew yoke...

thule a.k.a leo said...

My favourite orders in Canton-I:
1) Deep fried "bak fan yu" (somekind of crispy fish)
2) Egg tart... not the best but still won my praise
3) wantan mee... the egg noodle is just firm yet chewy ("Q" according to Taiwanese)

Reading your blog made me realise on how long I have not been there...

Rebecca Saw said...

ohh.tht purple paus are to die for!! i want some more!!

backStreetGluttons said...

In their quest to be one up , isn't that how the like-about-to-drop-off-hanging-on solo numeral was stuck on to the most Chinaman of China names ?

Yet the simple dishes look extravagant & may well be that elusive No 1 we have been looking for all our lives... at last ( like bsg)
lol !

minchow said...

OMG hypnotizing is the perfect road! I can feel myself going sleepy to the background soundtrack of a hot and bothered Cantonese kitchen while staring into the purple swirls, snapped out only by the thunderous yellow explosion...

Selba said...

So interesting to see the egg yolks coming out from the purple bun.

Bangsar-bAbE said...

I didn't notice the hypnotic effect of the paus...so clever la you! =) Full of cholesterol...but oh-so-yummy!

Ciki said...

LFB:
the devil did it!

sean:
hopefully it still taste like butter!
(i can't believe it's not butter.. u know that british add? "buy it or the dog gets it!" :P)

Ciki said...

thule:
will try ur list soon!

tng:
two each next time!

bsg:
erm yar.. OK!

faith:
just look into my eyes!

Ciki said...

selba:
yes its yummie

bbabe:
tq tq

J2Kfm said...

wei, i was surprised too, canton-i food really good lah.

at 1st i was doubting the authenticity, being amazed by HK food and all, but the FAT char siew bowled me over!

qwazymonkey said...

woman, you go next time and try their fried turnip cake. to die for i tell u...at least the one at BU. Everytime go must order wan.

I miss Asian food!

Julian Si said...

Wah, all them spare parts, like NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD!

Eeeep...

ps. My days of blogging from Malaysia coming to an end, due to depart within a week ... sigh!

Babe_KL said...

yikes!!! how come my buns dun spill out so much hot fillings??? :p not fair!

.:: Ant ::. said...

OMGawd! the food is really amazing.

Love it, simply love it! I'm really drooling now. ^_^

+Ant+

Sugar Bean said...

I've been to Canton-I once, it was a good experience. Love their egg tarts a lot! The purple dumplings look good, would love to try that out next time!

ling239 said...

i love their Pork Trotter noodles, yummy !!!

Pureglutton said...

Canton-I in 1U is one of my fave lunch hangouts, hehe! Their egg tarts & cha-siew puffs are excellent - fresh out of the oven!

sc said...

there's a dimsum place in SS2 that serves the same flowing salted egg custard pau- theirs are in yellow though. i like canton-i's wantan noodles, texture's very similar to those i had in HK :)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I always make space for those psychedelic buns. Big fan, I yam.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I swear those boobies were moving

Ciki said...

j2kfm:
yar i know .. surprising but true

Munkey:
come back!

Jules:
so sad! we'll miss you ..

babe:
you had dry buns?!

anton, sugarbean:
yea good food, must eat!

ling, pure glutton:
you too?! cool

sc:
i like the purple ones!

LL:
your hallucinating woman! :P